About RBI Archives
Reserve Bank of India Archives, Pune
The Reserve Bank of India Archives (RBIA) Pune, earlier known as Central Records and Documentation Centre (CRDC) was established on August 24, 1981 with the twin objective to serve as a repository of non-current permanent records and as Central Archives of the Reserve Bank of India for research purposes. RBI Archives is headed by Dr. R L Sahoo, Chief Archivist / Deputy General Manager. He is assisted by specialist officers i.e. Archivist, Chemist, Assistant Archivist, Asst. Librarian and supporting officers and staff from the general cadre. RBIA functions under the Department of Economic and Policy Research, Central Office, RBI, Mumbai. The College of Agricultural Banking (CAB), RBI, Pune has been providing administrative support to the RBI Archives since its inception.
Vision : To excel as an Archive that adopts the best standards of scientific preservation of all permanent records of the Reserve Bank of India, including those in electronic form, for the posterity.
Mission : To preserve invaluable records of the Reserve Bank of India as part of its archival resources and make them available for reference and research to the present and future generations by leveraging the experience of competent and committed employees and available state of art technology.
Functions of RBI Archives
- Receipt of non-current permanent records of the Bank having historical and / or legal value, closed more than 12 years back, or for such lower period as may be fixed by the Central Office of the concerned Department.
- Scientific preservation of records, photographs and paintings. In order to save the records from various pests, records received from Offices/ Departments are fumigated in Vacuum Fumigation Chamber. Besides, brittle and fragile records are repaired scientifically with acetate foil, tissue paper and handmade paper.
- Providing retrieval services and research facilities to all Departments and Offices of the Bank and outside institutions and researchers.
- Maintenance of archival library consisting of three copies of all publications brought out by the Reserve Bank of India such as books, reports, journals, manuals, brochures etc.
- Preparation of reference media such as indexes catalogues in respect of records and publications.
- Works as a nodal agency in respect of records management in the Bank and monitors the implementation of the Archival and Records Management Policy (ARMP) in all Departments and Offices of the Bank.
- Preservation of Oral History recordings.
- Organisation of exhibitions on topical themes relating to history of the Bank.
- Digitization and microfilming of records.
Access to Records
As per the Reserve Bank of India Historical Research Rules, 2001, the research scholars, post-graduate students of the universities and other institutions as well as the members of staff of the Reserve Bank of India and other banks can access the non-current records which are more than 30 years old, subject to such exceptions and restrictions, as may be imposed by the creating agencies.
Research facilities in the Archives can be availed between 9.15 AM to 5 PM on all working days (Mon-Fri).
RBI Archives Museum
An Archives Museum was inaugurated in the premises of the RBI Archives on June 1, 2010. The Museum houses selected documents from the Archives on themes relating to the history of RBI and some artefacts received from Central Office Departmetns and Regional Offices of the Bank.
The Museum is open to the public from 2 PM to 5 PM during working days (MonFri).
Reserve Bank of India Archives
College of Agricultural Banking Campus
Reserve Bank of India, University Road
Pune – India, Pin: 411016
Phone : +91 20-25537086, +91 20 25582350
e-mail : email@example.com